Sunday 28 October 2012

Put that room back the way I had it!

Hi all, I trust everyone is having a good day today.  It is Sunday afternoon.  This morning's service was preceded by a little bit of a shake up last night.  For once I decided to get to bed early.  So, by ten o'clock I am snuggled up in my flannel sheets with my new "soft" pillow when suddenly there arose such a clatter......
 
Oh wait a minute...that's the wrong story.
 
 
Anyway,... I am comfortably snuggled in my bed then rudely awakened by what feels like a shove.  Why in the world is my husband trying to push me off the bed.  But, guess again, he's not in here.  He's in the office finishing up tommorrow's sermon.
 
What's that,..trying to push me off again!!!!  It's a good thing I'm already laying down.
 
I yell out,..Do you feel that?  He say's  "yep, I sure do" as he watches his desk do a little tap dance.
 
That's the strongest tremor I've felt yet.  The people in the condos feel them the most I think.  I sure hope this building is constructed right!  My thoughts at the moment were..Hum,...maybe we should look for a house to rent......
 
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
On a different note... this morning's service we had all English speaking or those who understood English people in the building.  My husband was able to preach in English without any translation. 
It was a nice break for us, and singing songs in English was a break for me.
 
* * * * * * * * * * *
 
I never got around to finishing the story about the trip to Suscal.
Or maybe I never even started it. 

Here it is...
 
My husband mentioned that he'd like to visit Suscal since some of the young men in the church call it their hometown. Jose offered to go there with us and take us to his home so we can talk to his family, pray for his mom and meet the Pastor he knows in that city.  It's an hour and a half trip.  So I make up some breakfast burritos and off we go.

We got there early on a Saturday morning,
and met the Pastor and his wife.
 
These are our new friends, Ignacio and Abelina.
He ministers in Quechua and Spanish since most of the people here speak Quichua. 
 
 
 
 
* * * * * * *

It's a little bit of a climb to get to the young man's house up on the mountain side and I'm somewhat winded by the time we reach it.  Just a few moments before I saw a woman climb it with about 50 lbs of potatoes on her back.  I don't know how they do it, but I do see what the years of carrying a heavy load can do to a body.  Many of the older people walk with their bodies permanently bent forward.
There is no place to leave the truck so we have to park it some ways down the road and hope it's ok.

* * *
 
Now, understand something.  We have been in the country for a year now, and we had so far avoided eating Cuy.  Cuy is Guinea Pig.  When pastor Celaya was here for revival we kept telling him that we were all going to try it together, but it never happened.  Lucky for pastor Celeya, he he....
We had heard different things about it...It's the most delicious delicacy you will ever taste, or some say...yuck,..it's greasy, expensive and not good...
 
When we get to the house we meet a whole lot of family and they hustle to the kitchen to prepare the meal.  After about an hour, they set us down and serve us the almuerso.  First course is the soup...
 
 
I thought those chicken feet were reaching out to grab me to drown me in the soup!!!
This soup consisted of chicken feet, yucca, onions and cilantro...
I think.
I've had something like this before so this wasn't a big surprise.
 
Now for 'el segundo plato'.....
 
 
It happened!  I'm eating a Guinea Pig!
I get a few giggles from some of the ladies as I pick at the little guy. I think they caught on to the scared look in my eyes that I tried so hard to conceal, but to no avail. 
My husband has to help me finish, it's alot of food.
 
Tastes like chicken.
 


 
When lunch is done,
some new people straggle in and we gather together for a message of the gospel and a call for salvation.  Then we lay hands on Jose's mother who has suffered some type of a stroke.
We have some Spanish gospels of John and some CD's of the new testament in Quechua that we give out to everyone afterwards.
 
 
 
We don't know where this journey is leading us, but we are just moving forward as the opportunity is given.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment