Saturday 16 November 2013

Saturdays ......

How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
 
-----------
* * * * * * *

Saturday afternoon should always smell like this...


 With the doors open and a sweet smelling  sprinkle of rain on my patio, the tortillas on the comal and pinto beans boiling on the stove, I am reminded of all the Saturday smells when I was a girl.
.
Then when I was older, I fixed them up for my husband and kids.
Most often I could hear the sound of the radio outside while my husband worked on whichever vehicle needed attention. 
Add to that the sound of the door slamming with the boys running in and out of the house.  Often they spent some time whacking  away at the endless crop of weeds, until it got just too hot!

When they were very young, and I was making tortillas, I'd just give them a lump of dough to play with.  At times they'd give me a tiny tortilla to cook, but maybe it turned out to be something entirely different, like a puppy, a tree, or a space ship!
 
The boys grew older, and we grew busier, and the years just blew away. 
 I miss those times, don't you?
-----------------------------------------
* * * * *

Saturdays are usually busy days, still, years later and thousands of miles of away in the town of Cuenca.  Today is the day that the President of Ecuador came to town.  Of course we were totally clueless until we discovered that the road to our church was blocked.  So we found a space to park a few blocks away. 


What's happening here is a demonstration to get the attention of the President regarding a certain bank here in Cuenca.  Some people are fighting to get their money back.
 
 
Our church building is right next to the stadium so thanks to the President's appearance we had a steady stream of foot traffic right in front of the church.  We put the speakers out and threw on a CD with Christians songs.  Outreach today flowed very well for us. 
 
 
We had plenty of visitors come into the church to ask questions. 
One young lady was feeling lost and empty and searching for answers. 
She heard the music and was drawn to the church.
We  had one new soul added to the kingdom this morning. 
Today was a very good day.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
The last week of October was the festival of the arts.  I got a few pictures of the weekend to share.
 
 
 
 





 
 
 
Warning, the image in your rear view mirror is closer than
 it appears.
 


 
 
I bought a little tinwork mirror from this man.  He's  been featured in news stories and is well known in  neighboring countries.  He has a little shop here. I asked him for his business card so I could have a name attached to the face. 
But,....I don't know what I did with it. 
Oh well, I'll get another, and give you the name..
 
 
 
It's here, it's here!
The golden arches have arrived.
 
I can't wait to have a Big Mac....
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
When we were in conference in July these little ones were getting ready to arrive.  The new additions to the church!
Here they are 3 months old!
 
 
 
 
This is one of our security guards.  His name is Franklin. 
We always invite the guards to our little kitchen for coffee.
 
 
 
 
You know, I've been trying to use my time here to learn some new things.  I'm working on my art and I actually crocheted a blanket.  Man,....that's alot of work!  Here is my first ripple wave crochet afghan.
 
PLEASE excuse the mix of colors.  I just used the colors I happened to have on hand and I think it came out just OK.  But it's warm and long enough to cover up a very tall person.
My next pastel will be a seascape.  This is only about a quarter of the way done.  The finished product may turn out to be an entirely different picture.  I'm thinking of making it mixed medium.  I'm going to use oil and hard pastels together and see what happens.
 
Now it's time to say goodbye to friends and family......I've got to work on a new song before tomorrow's service. 
 
Until next time,.....  I'm keeping you close in my thoughts and prayers.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment